Friday, September 20, 2019

How I became Diabetes mukt..


I hate diabetes. Not because the disease is bad for body. That's there. But more importantly, every body and his uncle will tell you all sorts of alternate therapies, the moment they know that you are diabetic. Being not sure whether I really listened carefully, they will repeat it to my spouse. Anu that is. . "Cut the bendi verticlly (not horizontally, then it may not work) and soak in water overnight. Drink it in empty stomach. In one week diabetes would be fully reversed.Totally naturopathy, you see" they would fiercely plead for 'bendi'  like Kapil Sibal did for Chidambaram in INX case.
Another visitor would come home. After exchanging pleasantries, its time for tea. The moment they see that I take tea without sugar, they would let out a loud scream "Diaaaabetes kya? " OMG. I get ready for another alternate therapy. Now no escape.
"You do one thing " - Guest .
"Why one. I did several things but.. madam.." I try to escape..
"This is not like others. You take margosa leaves, tulsi and bhel leaves. Put it in mixie. Drink in empty stomach first thing in the morning. Just 10 days. Check sugar n u will be shocked."
" OMG. My empty stomach is already mortgaged to another therapy madam"
" Usse Diabetes kam hua kya. Usko feko. Yeh try karo. Bhoolo math. Empty stomach.. "

Wondering how they turned me a 'compulsive leaf eater'- from plain kadi patha to karela leaves - I strategically change the topic. To Mumbai rains and how in our society only, no flooding while in the neighbourhood water almost up to first floor with mithi river flowing thru their kitchens.(what saddistic pleasure!)

Back to diabetes. By now all leaves and raw veggies worth their names in different combo tried on me. Soon to be the most tried Guinea pig in Guinness.At one point I became like the cow in signal corners where people give bunch of some leaves quickly, touch it's back and scoot away. I was like the same cow with leaves stuffed but without the reverential touch. The next title of Penguin *"Zen and the art of leaf eating"* was building up inside my brain cells.

Intermittantly, my concerned sisters would come to deliver parallel therapies as independent bio interventions. But the disbetes remained super elusive, despite regular tablets alongside this leafy experiments.

By now, the Kitchen was full of leaves of different varieties. May be this is what they meant by Kitchen Garden.?. God knows.

Fed up, I started listening to my body. Anything I eat, there was a spike in sugar level.
So stopped the basic staple food - wheat and rice. And started eating raw vegetables combo thru No-oil-No-boil recipes for breakfast. Millets for midday. only liquids, salad n fruits at night. (Allopathy tablets on under medicos advice.)
Oh. The damn numbers came down Fasting below 100 and PP less than 150.
Now I am ready to assault the other diabetics starting the sermon with " You do one thing.. ". And repeat it to their respective spouses .. To keep the diabetic tradition alive.. Like Riyaaz to music. Repeating..
🤔 Chandrashekar

No comments: